Quar and a bit of Terrain

 If anyone remembers from back in the day when GW sold a vacuformed plastic trench terrain piece, thats what you're looking at. I had painted it by hand when I was a younger lad and the quality of the piece left a lot to be desired. Its a cool little terrain piece that I use often in games, especially for Songs of our Ancestors, so I thought Id give it some love and also make it more functional.

 Above is the original terrain piece, painted rather poorly by me. There is an unsightly plastic lip around the bottom and also an awkward edge around the whole terrain piece that makes it difficult to place models on the sides. The first order of business was mounting it on a piece of MDF, then using spackle to form up the sides, making a more gradual, natural slope around the terrain piece and hiding the unsightly edge. Then to blend it more I sculpted some sandbags and added barrels to make the transition more cohesive.
 Here is the prepainted result of my efforts, already looking better.
 After a pass with the airbrush using Vallejo flat brown, then khaki highlights, with black sprayed in the craters. Now it is starting to look like a hill worth defending.
 With a bit of flock and leaves it gets some more definition and character. The picture  makes the flock look a bit more bright then it actually is.

 Inhabited with some Quar models


 I think it turned out pretty nice.
 Lastly, I finished my force of Partisans for Songs of Our Ancestors. The miniatures and game are from a local company called Zombiesmith. The quar range is surprisingly vast and the miniatures are really characterful. The game takes place in a WW1 like setting, with the themes and technologies associated with that era, but as an alien world locked in a centuries long war between two main factions with several smaller ones. I really like the feel of this game. The rules are pretty simple but cinematic and every game I have played has been its own interesting and captivating story. The cost of the game is incredibly low and the miniatures are cool so check it out.








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts