Flames of War First Impressions

Oh boy! Open fire showed up at my front door today and I was really exited. My brother and I have really wanted to get into the game and this box seemed like a great and inexpensive way to get into the world of Flames of War.

The box was promptly torn open to expose its contents. This box is filled with all manner of good stuff from the miniatures, to the flat cardboard terrain which is way better than having nothing to start out with, down to the rare earth magnets for magnetizing the tank turrets! I considered doing a full unboxing post but this set is kind of old news at this point and there are unboxings all over the internet already.

My overall impressions of this box are extremely good. The price is right at $70 for a rulebook and 2 decent sized forces...plus some dice, card terrain, and some misc reference papers. The models are spectacular especially given their size. All the sprues come in ziplock bags and it is well organized. My one complaint is that the box is very flimsy and the not very sturdy at all. But hey, the box doesn't affect the game or my enjoyment of it so it really is a non-issue.

The contents(this is only a small portion of them) were strewn across the carpeting...

The plastic infantry have an amazing amount of detail for being about the size of a dime.



I took some time to assemble my force. It took quite a long time to assemble the tanks which suprised me since they are so small. The sprues come with all manner of stowage and spare track segments to customize the look of the tanks. The set comes with 2 Firefly Shermans and 6 standard Shermans with 76mm guns.

It also comes with a platoon of paratroopers including a bazooka team and a mortar team. The German force comes with a considerable amount of troops as well including a command section, 2 platoons, 3 Stugs and 2 PAK 40 anti tank guns.

Needless to say im excited and already pondering what I will need to 1750 and higher lists.

The first job though is to finish building the other 5 shermans and to paint all these fellas. I dont anticipate they will take all that long to paint but Ive been wrong about that before...

Here is a dodgy photo showing the crisp detail on the Platoon command with a terrific background.


Stay tuned and dont touch that dial...I should be putting a brush to these guys soon.

Comments

Popular Posts