Throwback 40k: Crimson Fists



And here is where my hobby started. Not back in the early days of Warhammer 40k, but just over seven years ago. I was given this iconic box from a family member who had it stashed away, unbuilt and unpainted though it only had enough sprues to build 20 of the 30 marines that came with the box. I also got 2 unbuilt rhinos. (not that I am complaining in any way. I was super stoked to get my hands on them) I have fond memories of putting these fellows together and just poring over the box art which is my favorite piece of Gamesworkshop artwork. Words can simply explain how much I love this painting. (I have a full size poster of it kicking around too!) 


Here we have the super awesome back of the box showing 30!! marines that you can build from the box all painted in the iconic Crimson Fist heraldry. This is where my hobby explosion began.

The 20 marines and 2 rhinos expanded very slightly to include a predator and an attack bike that I picked up at a miniature bazaar event. I painted them as Crimson Fists because they are my favorite chapter...weird considering that my only actual space marine army is Blood Angels.

Predator. I really dig the turret on this tank.

Close up on a rhino. By no means did I go all out on painting these guys way back when. Its pretty much a basecoat and a drybrush with details picked out.

Super awesome marines with sweet helmets

The heavy weapons that came with the kit. Rocket launcher and flamer

Because why wouldnt you duel wield bolters if you had the chance

...he isnt the only fellow duel wielding either...

And the best part about these guys... The chainsaw attachments to the bolters.

This small force is by no means one that I am proud of painting-wise. Ive come a long way since my hobby infancy . I am however extremely nostalgic and proud of this little force that started it all.




Also, a fun bonus. I got this campaign book handed down to me as well. Unfortunately it is missing several pages that included army lists and who knows what else but the entire campaign is there and so is a good amount of art and model stats.

The sweet diorama that graces the inside cover. Its extremely 2D when you see the whole diorama but is is super cool nonetheless. This is just a zoomed in snapshot of a dreadnought bursting through a wall and some guardsman getting toasted by an ork as you can see.

One of the pages showing the terrain for a scenario. What I think is cool about the campaign is that it tells you exactly what models you need for the battle. Obviously it limits who can play by what models are available but I like the idea of having preset scenarios for a bit of a different tactical challenge. I really wish Games Workshop would come out with more campaign books that chronicled a certain event or war. They had that armageddon book, the conquest of lustria, and the Storm of Chaos, they could easily do it again and also make a few campaign only models that are unique and cool looking. I know I would buy it.

Sweet artwork that is very 80s and also very different from GWs artwork today.

Some neat sideways artwork.

there is a neat weapons chart on the back of the book with some awesome grenades that I always thought would be cool to bring back into 40k. Some of these have made a reappearance in codexes!

Comments

Popular Posts