Dreadfleet: Part I


Ive had Dreadfleet since the day of release but never really got around to painting it. I always had armies I would rather finish over board game minis. I got over my inability to sit down and paint the miniatures and primed everything up. So far I have the curse of Zandri and Grimnir's Thunder painted up and both ships took a lot longer than I would have thought. Nevertheless, I am happy with how the water on the bases came out and also with the overall quality of the models. Without a coat of paint the models are extremely detailed for their size. With some paint they really come alive and Im really looking forward to playing this game fully painted.(ive had several games with a bunch of grey plastic) 

As far as the game goes, I am a fan. The game has seen a lot of grief online but I have had a lot of fun playing it. The game tends to be filled with a good amount of random events that I think create really awesome cinematic moments. Having your ship blow up instantly when it takes only 1 hit can be frustrating to some people but I think it creates some memorable moments. By no means is this a competitive game. It is a hobbyist game. It is meant to be fun and lighthearted and that is what it is. 

On to the Models...
The Curse of Zandri-Tomb King ship.  Painting the red ad blue triangles was a HUGE pain and I didnt even really highlight them as much as I should have.

Top down. I followed the painting tutorial from the White Dwarf that accompanied the release and was really happy with the realistic results. My only addition was to gloss varnish the water to make it more dynamic and ...well... more like water

With the huge blade on the front I am surprised this ship doesn't have any sort of ram attack in its rules. 



Grimnir's Thunder- Dwarf ship

I didnt think this model would turn out as nice as it did. Being an all metal ship I thought the result would be a bit bland but I think the end result is quite nice.

Broadsides!

And this little tank looking thing driving alongside the ship. Its details like this that make the models that much cooler. You cant really see this stuff when its unpainted...

The modeled water effects that Games Workshop was able to achieve really are stunning.

The sweet little Dwarf Dirigible is a nice addition to the model. Also the row of cannons on deck looks sweet as well I think.


Top down...Unfortunately it is hard to hide the seams where the model goes together on this one. Especially because I had to paint it before I could fully assemble it and glue it together.

Here is what is left to do as far as the ships are concerned. (8 more) 

More to come soon!!

Comments

Popular Posts